Member Charity Golf Day - The Melanoma Fund
As a Sun Protection Accredited Club, we have pledged to raise awareness of sun protection to our staff, members and visitors.
Melanoma is one of the UK’s fastest rising cancers, and has reached epidemic levels, with incidents trebling in the last 30 years.
As a golfer, we are at a higher risk due to the time we spend out on the course with prolonged sun exposure when UV levels are at their strongest, especially between 11.00am – 3.00pm from early April until the end of September. Follow the following guidance to help minimise your risk:
1. Keep sunscreen (SPF30+), sunglasses, a hat and large umbrella in your bag
2. Apply sunscreen at least 20 minutes before teeing off to ensure it is effective
3. Reapply sunscreen every two hours even on cloudy days during the summer months
4. Use a chubby sunblock stick to protect lips, nose and ears
5. Check your skin every month and if you spot any changes contact your GP immediately
Although skin cancer, including melanoma which is the most dangerous form of the disease, is on the increase, it is mostly preventable by protecting your skin from the sun.
For further tips and advice, including creating a new healthy habit that will keep you playing this great sport for longer, visit the Slip! Slap! Swing! Campaign at www.melanoma-fund.co.uk/golf